Monday, February 27, 2012

No More Grilled Steak

Way back when on Valentine’s Day, I decided instead of trying to find a sitter and fight the crowds to go out, that I would make us a nice steak dinner. And also we have yet to hire a “sitter” other than my parents for Hadley.  Pathetic, maybe, but at least we’re saving money?  Anyway, typically, that has meant that I season/marinate the meat, and then one of us throws it on the grill.  I say typically because I decided to try something different this time.  Matt was skeptical when I told him it didn’t involve the grill, and I could tell he was a little bit disappointed thinking his steak probably wouldn’t taste as good as it usually does.  You’d have to ask him, but I’m pretty sure I won over the skeptic in him after one bite of this steak.

I found this pin on Pinterest...

 

… and decided to give it a try, and y’all… I will never grill a steak again.  These weren’t even the best cuts of steak out there – they were simply basic filets from the grocery store – and this recipe made them taste like prime cuts. 

Here’s the recipe straight from Whit’s blog - Restaurant Style Steak

  • 2 8 ounce filet mignons
  • 4 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

Take 1/2 stick of butter, softened, and mix well with the peeled, chopped garlic, the chopped herbs, and the lemon zest.  Form into a log and refrigerate.  Generously season the filet’s with salt and pepper, approximately 1 teaspoon of seasoning per side.

Heat the remainder of the butter (1/2 stick) and the olive oil in a cast iron skillet to a screaming hot temperature.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.   Sear the filets in a screaming hot pan for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until a nice brown crust has formed. While the steak is searing, continue to spoon the residual butter in the pan on top of the meat while it’s cooking.  Once both sides are seared, place in the center of the oven for about 6-8 minutes, depending upon how thick your steak is.  In the last minute of cooking, take the log of compound butter and slice a nice thick piece to place on top.

Your steak will be ready when it is approximately 135 degrees in the center, or when you push lightly on the top center of the steak and it gently and slowly bounces back.  (Note, this is medium rare kids. Some people don’t like to eat cows while they are mooing, so clearly you can cook longer if you’re afraid of the pink.)

And because I like to have my favorite recipes on an easy to grab recipe card, here’s a digital one for y’all to save (or pin on Pinterest).

restaurant style steak


Pin It!

3 comments:

Amy said...

this sounds SO good! and btw, i "pinned" it and within 15 minutes i've gotten email notifications that like 20 other people had "repinned" it - ha! :)

melanie @nowaqueen said...

I love me a good steak recipe! Thanks for sharing! I nominated you for a Sunshine Award! Check it out

http://onceamissnowaqueen.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunshine-on-cloudy-day.html

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

This just made my mouth water. I definitely need to try this!

That digital recipe card is super cool. How did you do that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...