Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Did you eat enough dirt?

Dirt is good for you.
I just wanted to share this article I found today that I thought was pretty interesting. Especially teaching preschool, I can see the increase of allergies in young children even when compared to when I was growing up. So many parents these days are so concerned about a clean, sanitized environment for their children, and while I certainly wouldn't suggest living in a garbage can, I think a lot of people tend to overkill the cleaning part of things. I've got at least 5 out of 15 kids in my class that have already been to an allergist and have allergies ranging from peanuts to pollen.

I don't have a whole lot to say on this topic - I just thought it was interesting to point out that when we were all sitting in the backyard test-tasting the dirt around us, we were actually doing our immune-systems some good! Maybe I didn't eat enough dirt growing up and that's contributing to how many times I've been sick this year? OR maybe it has to do with having mono 3 times and working in a petri-dish called a preschool class? Who knows...
Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...