Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Adventures in Baby Food: Blueberries and Peaches

I am really enjoying making all of Hadley’s baby food.  I thought I’d share another quick tutorial on how to make fruit (it’s not recommended for babies under 8 months to eat raw fruit [with the exception of bananas and avocados], so you should cook it in some way prior to pureeing.) 

I made a batch of peaches and blueberries at the same time using two different methods (warning: this will make your house smell soooo delicious you might just have to make a pie).  I decided to bake the peaches and simmer the blueberries. 

We’ll start with the peaches:

Pre-heat oven to 400.

Slice desired amount of peaches in half and remove the pits.  Place peaches “meat” side down in a baking dish with about an inch of water.   I only made 2 peaches this time around because I wanted to see if Hadley likes them before I make a huge batch, and as you can tell from the picture below, they were already pretty ripe when I made these. 

IMG_2359

Bake in the oven at 400 until the skin wrinkles and peaches are soft to the touch.  (I think this took about 20-25 minutes or so, but because I was making the blueberries at the same time, I can’t remember exactly!)  This is what they should look like when they’re done:

IMG_2373

The skins should just “slide” off at this point – see picture below.  If you have a few pieces of skin that hang on for dear life, you can either cut that part of the peach off before throwing in the puree, or just call it good. (They say that the skins of fruit can be tougher to digest for little tummies, so just use your best judgment as to what your little one can handle.)

IMG_2376

After removing the skins, throw it in a food processor or blender and puree!  I didn’t even need to add water to these because they were juicy enough on their own.

IMG_2380

The blueberries were just as simple. 

Dump a package of blueberries into a sauce pan and add just enough water to cover.

IMG_2362

Simmer the blueberries until they turn a nice deep purple – if I remember correctly, this only took about 5-10 minutes. 

IMG_2365

Drain the blueberries and reserve the water in case you want it to thin out your puree (I didn’t need any of this water either, they came out nice and juicy!)

IMG_2368

Stick in a food processor or blender and puree! 

Easy-peasy! Smile  I added some avocado to this tray to freeze, and filled the rest with the peaches and blueberries. 

IMG_2382

We haven’t tried the peaches yet, but I’d say the blueberries were a hit!

IMG_2408 copy


Pin It!

2 comments:

Olive said...

Does your avocado puree brown when you defrost it? I've been freezing avocado slices and then defrosting/pureeing when I want to use it.

Brittany {Coleman Chronicles} said...

Amber - Nope! Much to my surprise, the avocado freezes and thaws green! The only time I've seen it brown slightly was when she didn't quite finish a meal and I put some in the fridge for the next day. From what I've read, though, even if it turns brown in the fridge/freezer, it's still fine to eat (same with bananas).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...