Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Red Velvet Cake Balls

I discovered cake balls awhile back on one of the baking/cooking blogs I follow (I can't remember which one I actually saw them on first), and have been wanting to try them ever since. Thanks to Matt being out of town/working late yesterday, I finally did! I captured my first attempt in pictures...

The cast of characters (you don't really need 2 cans of icing - but I had one already opened, so I thought I'd use that one up before diving into the new one)


What your hands will look like during the cake-balling process

The cake-balls ready to go to the freezer:

And a close-up (I used a melon-baller to try to keep the size consistent)

And now for the almost-finished product...


I used toothpicks to get them out of the melted almond bark - and then removed them after the covering hardened. If I had been going for perfection on these, I would have completely re-dipped them in a separate bowl of almond bark, because the red velvet cake crumbs get all over everything. Obviously I was not going for perfection. Apparently I got a little bit of water in my first batch of almond bark and it seized up... see exhibit A

exhibit A

And, if you take the toothpicks out before it's ready - this will happen...

And if you get lucky, a couple of them will look like this!

These took ALL day to make (literally, I put the cake in the oven around 11:30a and I wasn't finished covering them until about 6:30p (and I actually ran out of almond bark, so I didn't even get them all covered), but taste-wise I think they turned out great! I would definitely make these again for a party or the holidays! You can make them in any flavor too - so it would be fun to experiment with different combinations!




Pin It!

4 comments:

mom e said...

Yumm... They look great! Bring some to Austin this weekend.

Courtney said...

Look great! Reminded me of these: http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2007/12/red-velvet-cake-balls.html

I just made a ton of her cake pops and cheesecake pops this weekend!

the blogivers said...

I have made cake balls a couple of times before and I wish I had never learned how to make them - they are too good and I end up eating half of them by myself! :)

Jen said...

I want to try these! I love the ones made with oreos, but red velvet is Coach's favorite! Yumm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...